The internet contains a fabulous amount of advice on every aspect of this journey, which all aspiring and brand new authors should bone up on. There are gurus around us all, willing to share, so many and so much it is humbling. There is a lot to be absorbed, though, and it can be difficult to decide where to start. Here are some hints and tips about what to do after that euphoric moment, based upon my experiences, and which I'll cover in four blogs.
1. Website or blog? You need it!
1. Refresh your content. People like new stuff, so make sure you go back to your blog or site and update it. You could create new blog posts, update with news, or simply tweet from there. Search engines like regular updates, too.
2. Write your updates, news and/or blog there and post it out to other places. This helps you engage with people in the widest sense.
3. Complete the SEO basics on your blog or website, so the simple things like titles and metadata for pages. Be smart, though, and use only words that are relevant. The search engines are wise to sites using words that have no relevance to their content, so avoid this.
4. Ensure that it can be found and used by search engines, so test it and work it from the search engine's perspective. Google's Webmaster Tools are brilliant for this, from checking for crawl errors to adding a rich snippet to each page (to explain what it is for).
5. Make sure that people can find and sign up to all your social media presences easily, so make them prominent.
6. If you blog/update with news, make sure that people can easily sign up to your RSS feed.
Remember, your website or blog isn't just a staging post on the journey. It's part of the way in which the new author builds community. It's your place in the world, so do all that you can with it!